Monday, September 22, 2008

Horrible Display...

Last week after Manchester United lost to the scousers at Anfield, I was gutted and lost for words. But a few days later I thought, well, Man United played well albeit for the first 20 minutes or so... thereafter they played like headless chicken and the defence was in shambles, no thanks to the part of Edwin van de Sar who for most part of the match looked rather uneasy and rightfully so, he was the cause of Wes Brown's "equalizer". On the other hand, Wes Brown's performance was mediocre to say the least... then again, so was the entire team!

We did not lose to a better team... we lost because we played like a loser. We lost every ball in midfield, all the tackles were mis-timed.. in fact every player tackled like Paul Scholes. Now, Scholes isn't one to be famed for his perfectly timed tackles.. is he? Then when we had people like Ryan Giggs committing errors such as those that led to Liverpool's winner... I guess Manchester United deserve to lose that night....

As in the case with Manchester United... their poor form is not a one off thing.. it goes on in a stretch! Again, they were woeful against an average Villareal side in midweek's Champion's League opener.. (which I did not bother to wake up to watch, but I think I know what United is capable of after coming off a morale sapping loss to Liverpool) and neither do I think that they will recover when they travel to Stamford Bridge last night. Again, they were superb... well, until they grabbed the lead... then with their performance, I was horrified! The fear of Anfield repeating was so real that I shudder to think of the outcome.

Park Ji Sung was abysmal, he ran around like headless chicken and I thought he got lucky with the goal, being at the right place at the right time, but apart from that he was clueless.... Berbatov? He did show glimpses of what he is capable of but too far and few apart to make a difference. Maybe he did not get the right support as he cuts a lonely figure up front most of the time. The worst I think could be reserved for Edwin van der Sar while his substitute Kucszak fared just a tad better if not just as bad... United should count their luck when Joe Cole and Lampard seemed to have left their shooting boots at home, otherwise we would have been ROUTED.

Then again, like any United fan, I think they will be able to turn the corner. After all, they are famed for their slow start to a campaign but, I guess they better start to run before Chelsea disappear over the horizon. With Liverpool the perennial underachievers, I would probably put Chelsea as the most potent contender... Arsenal while showing industry and confidence... may just fade away like the last season. I do not think they have enough depth in the team to carry them through a tough season. At the end, the top 4 spots will be shared by the top 4. Manchester City??? Nahhhhhh! They are far from it....

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Aiyo .. as usual lah .. once score a goal, foot off the pedal! As for Berba .. he doesn't really contribute much does he? Worth what he was paid for? I'm wondering!! Looked a bit like Van Nistelrooy .. hanging around :) I'm waiting for them to "dangerous up-colour" hehe

Malaysian Joe said...

I think Berba needs more support... he has not been getting them. Consider the goal he made against Pool. I think he has the quality but he drifts out of game too frequently and I guess its fair we give him time to adapt... Look at Keane.. he is faring much worse at Anfield.. :).

Unknown said...

Yeah ur right. Keane is just not his usual self at Anfield. OK .. patience .. like waiting for PR to make a move :)

Malaysian Joe said...

But... we can't wait too long... Berba better start scoring.. :)

Anonymous said...

Err.... Clef was not here... Clef was not here. *runs off before any of you could catch me*

Calvin Soo KJ said...

kev, i didnt watch the match. rachel did.....she used to be an avid mu fan, but ive turned her into a chelsea geek....hahaha. she told me that mu played so bad, she wanted to puke. chelsea controlled the game from the beginning. i received an sms from maxis ji sung scored 1st. i panicked man. i was in my lecture room. then chelsea scored about 70 odd mins or so. berbatov is not performing up to par when he was with totenham. not because im a chelsea freak, but i think mu will have a tough fight this year.....

Malaysian Joe said...

How can you convert an MU to Chelski????? hehehe...

Anw, I had a strong feeling this season will be a shocker... Give other team a chance la.. every season MU, MU also ppl get bored rite? LOL..

Pete said...

Ha Ha, I see another Mega Toto number
3 4 7 8 14 20

Calvin Soo KJ said...

yaya....chelski go go....lol